Saturday, December 20, 2008

Coco.





That is what we named our American Coot who came to visit us.



She fell into our window well by our bedroom sometime during the huge snow storm we had a day ago. She has beedy red eyes, full black feathers, green chicken looking feet, and a white beak with a spot of black at the top.



I had to look up on the internet to figure out what kind of bird she was, and all the while I was wondering why she didn't fly south for the winter, because as far as I knew that is what all birds did. Turns out this type of bird is year-round here in Spokane, WA but they mostly keep to marshy areas. They need water to propel themselves into the air, and they are kinda like a cross between a duck and a chicken. A chuck if you will.




She began all burrowed down in the snow, probably trying to keep warm. When we would walk into the bedroom near the window she would get up and become all territorial.




Anyways, we left her there figuring that she could just fly out if she wanted to. So, I was down
stairs doing the laundry and I kept hearing a strange tapping noise. I went into the bedroom and found the bird freaking out and flying into the glass over and over again. I seriously thought that she was going to hurt herself, and I wouldn't be able to bear a dead bird in a window well...at least not one this big...if it was like one of those stupid parakeets I wouldn't mind...the world could do with a few less of those suckers.


So I got out the shovel and dug myself a little path around the house to the window well, and just sort of scooped her up with the shovel and she kinda flopped out and skidded/ flew across the snow. I let her go from there I figured she would be ok.


So now you know. I'm an American Coot rescue agent.



No comments: