Saturday, October 11, 2008




Being married has been a wonderful experience for both Mackenze and I. Every morning I'm so elated to wake up next to someone so wonderful.

Although we felt completely fulfilled in our marriage, we wanted something more. We started trying to get pregnant only two months after we were married. It felt like the right thing to do and we both desperately wanted a family.

I had expected to get pregnant right away. I had heard it was fairly simple for it to happen. However, after a few weeks I still had not seen that little plus sign I was awaiting. I was beginning to despair thinking that something might be wrong with me. I was trying to be patient which for me, in particular, is not the easiest thing to do.

Sometime near the end of May, I woke up one morning and decided just to try to see if I might be pregnant. I was so happy when two minutes later the test reflected a positive. I went downstairs right away to tell my loving Mackenze who was just as excited as I was.

The next couple weeks were a piece of cake. I felt completely fine. It was after those weeks, the blessed morning sickness began to debut. I'm not sure who decided to name it "morning" sickness because it should have been named "anytime of day you can think of" sickness. Not only was a puking in the mornings, but also mid-morning, early afternoon, early evening, and at 2:00 am.

That was the first trimester.
As I entered into my second trimester, I kept thinking: Ok this is going to be great! No more sickness! At least that is what the doctor and books all say...

And this is where I learn that doctors and books can be proved very wrong. It wasn't until the middle of the second trimester I was feeling better.

Now I'm just about to begin my third trimester, and I still occasionally feel sick. And I can't believe how often I eat! I have to eat at least six times a day, but I can't ever eat a full meal. It drives me crazy. And the trips to the bathroom are even worse. Sometimes I think that I live there, with as often as I go. My least favorite is stumbling up the stairs in the middle of the night. I'm always afraid I'm going to hit my head on the low part of the ceiling on the stairs, or my leg on the sharp corner of the bed. The list of possibilities of how Justine can hurt herself is virtually endless. I wasn't born with a whole lot of grace...add pregnancy and sleep deprevation....well....no explanation is needed.


Speaking of my clumsiness....

When Mackenze and I were dating, one night we decided to watch a movie at his parents house. His mom had made these amazing coconut brownie things....and naturally I ate five of them because we are sweet deprived at my parents house. So we popped in the Other Side of Heaven DVD, but apparently I had all this excess energy from the brownies so I decided to show Mack some of my wicked awesome cheer leading moves, and also how fast I could run around the coffee table. In the process of all my jumping I some how landed on one of my weak ankles. The popping sound it made was NOT pleasant. Then I started crying but I don't know if it was because it hurt so bad or if I was embarrassed...probably a mixture of both. I knew right away that it wasn't broken, but Mackenze was really worried because it was super purple and swollen. He called my mom and she told him to take me to the hospital just to make sure that it wasn't really broken.

My mom said that when the hot male nurse strolled me away in the wheelchair Mack didn't look too thrilled.

Turns out it was just a bad sprain. But, at least Mackenze had a little taste of what it's going to be like to take care of a stumbling idiot of a wife.

Thankfully, we haven't had any other unplanned trips to the hospital...knock on wood...I desperately hope that our children turn out more like their father.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I remember you telling me that story and still I was laughing out loud when I read it! You are very lucky you haven't hurt yourself again, no cheerleading moves...and also I wouldn't eat too many brownies. :) love ya.

Unknown said...

Miss Justine! How are you? third trimester, I'm so jealous! I'm 17 weeks and it seems like it's taking forever! Hope all is well.