Thursday, October 2, 2008




"Hi Mack."

Daddy is the word that I probably thought after that. And who wouldn't with a tall, dark, and handsome man staring at you.

"Hi Justine."

This is most likely what he actually said.

"So, I was wondering if I could have your number, some of us girls don't have it and we'd like to invite you to things... and stuff."

That's right. I asked him. That is what started it all. I tried not to smile too widely as I watched his eyes bug further out of his head. I found out later he was absolutely terrified that a girl was talking to him. His gorgeous brown eyes looked slightly nervous as he gave me his number.

After church began, I wondered why I didn't pay more attention to him while we were in high school. I don't remember him looking so handsome. He must have lost at least thirty pounds. In fact, I thought that he wore these thick lensed glasses all the time, which it turns out that he didn't. I didn't even remember that he was the seminary president. I only found this out after I was looking through his yearbook and reading the comment that I wrote in it. Yeah, he had definitely changed in someway, even if I couldn't put my finger on it.

Ok so you get it now right? Mack is hott.

Despite this, I still found myself reluctant to actually date him. I guess I thought him...what's the word...geeky. Although I think that the words stalker and goober were the words I used to describe him to others.

Don't get me wrong. Mack definitely had his moments where I sat wondering to myself why I didn't take the plunge. For instance, he calls me up asking me if I wanted a ride to some activity we were having. Sure I said, I'm at my parent's and I need a ride anyways. So he comes to the door.

"You ready?"

"Yup."
We stepped out from the porch, and there it was. Just sitting in the driveway, trying to blend in with the mediocre surroundings, but surely not succeeding.
"Is this your car?"

"It's my mom's."
"Cool."

So we get in the gleaming pale blue, two seat er, Z-3 BMW, with its top down.
"Hang on. My mom has to see this."

I dialed the number quickly and tell her to look out the window. She was just as impressed as I was. I think to myself...this is one way to get my attention.

After the activity, we spent a good part of the night driving everywhere in Spokane. The weather was cooperating perfectly. The warm wind hit my face, making me feel more alive than ever. I don't really remember a whole lot about what we talked about in the beginning, but the conversation eventually led to my past life, and his family. I don't know why I did, but I shared some deep feelings that I wouldn't normally, with an almost stranger. I guess I was trying to gauge his reaction, deep down I really wanted to know what he thought of me.

In turn, he shared his secrets with me. It was then and there our friendship began.

For the next six months, we hung out together regularly. We saw each other at FHE and singles dances, sat with each other at munch and mingle...you know when I would get over myself and I didn't think that I was too cool for him...

And then my life did a flip-flop. I had lost my job. They fired me. It wasn't fair. I'm not the type of person who gets fired. I'm not lazy, I'm very punctual, and I'm a quick learner. It is still beyond me why I ever lost that job. It had to have been one of the most trying days I had at the time. And you know what sweet Mackenze did? He left a white carnation and a Wal-Mart gift card, labled for ice cream on my doorstep. I knew it was him because he is the only person I know who writes in cursive. I called him and he even tried to pretend like it wasn't him. It was funny.

So, it put me in a tough spot. I had to move into my parents house and start job hunting. During that time Mackenze and I got to know each other even more. He would come over to my house and we would sit down in my room (I know...I couldn't imagine why my parents let me have a boy in my room...but hey...I wasn't about to say anything) watch movies and then he would rub my feet.

Oh...My...Gosh. Mackenze would be the foot-rubbing god if there was one. I don't know what it was, but pieces of my heart were quietly stolen from those foot-rubs. And because Mackenze was the best at foot-rubs (and also wonderfully sexy) he got some special treatment too. Let's just say he has nice lips.

Even then, I still couldn't convince myself to be his girlfriend. Maybe I wasn't ready. I can't exactly explain my hesitation. But I believe that it was meant to be that way. It wasn't the right time.

When I finally realized that what I had been looking for was right smack in front of my face for the past seven months, I was actually very surprised. I didn't expect it. I wanted to be with him.



And I was going to make it happen.


No comments: